We at WatchAdvisor (in this policy we use the term WatchAdvisor and “we”, “us” and “our” to refer to WatchAdvisor AG and its affiliates) know how much you, our users, care about your privacy and how your personal information is used and shared. We comply with the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Swiss Data Privacy Regulation (DSG/VDSG) and take your privacy seriously.
PURPOSE OF DATA PROCESSING BY WATCHADVISOR
We process your data for 3 reasons:
- to provide the recommendation services which is at the heart of our community. Processing of your data in your user profile is essential to improve the recommendations we can offer you. This also includes the use of your personal data such as first name, last name, gender and address in targeted campaigns, e.g. when we send you our email newsletter,
- to provide a convenient login experience when you choose to share information from your LinkedIn or Facebook accounts
- to continuously improve the user experience and convenience of our platforms, when we use third party tools such as Google Analytics or Hotjar.
LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING YOUR DATA
When we start to process your data, e.g. by using cookies or when you sign in to our platforms, we will ask for your consent to process your data as described in this policy.
If you continue to use our platforms, you also continue to agree to the processing of data as described in this policy.
If, at any time, you wish to withdraw this consent, please refer to the section "How to withdraw consent for processing of your personal data" below.
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
In general, we do not let, sell or share your personal information (i.e. data where you can be identified as an individual) with third parties or non-affiliated companies.
However, some of your personal data may be shared as follows:
- getting, storing and processing personal data from LinkedIn or Facebook if you choose to register and login with your social media accounts on these platforms;
- sharing your IP address with Google Analytics and hotjar to create anonymized statistics of your use of the platform which we can use to improve the user experience and convenience on our platform. For details, please refer to “Cookies and other information that we automatically collect” below;
- when you respond to one of our campaigns on Facebook, we share data to ensure that future post that you see from us on Facebook match your interests.The data includes Http headers, IP address, Facebook pixel ID and Facebook cookie, the labels of the buttons you click or input fields you use;
- sharing your name, email, and address with third party providers (e.g. MailChimp) who offer email related services on our behalf (e.g. distributing our newsletters) and who will not use your data for other purposes than those controlled by us;
- sharing your name and address with our retail and service partners if you choose to contact them through our platforms. We believe that watches are a personal business and you should grant our partners the courtesy of letting them know who you are when you ask them to provide a service to you;
- sharing with third party providers who offer payment related services on our behalf such as online and other payments, processing credit card transactions and handling credit checks and fraud prevention;
- disclosure of your personal information to any law enforcement agency, court, regulator, government authority or other third party where we believe this is necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation, or otherwise to protect our rights or the rights of any third party;
Please note that we may use third party services to run selected functions of our platform. Some of those services may ask you to register and login to access additional information (e.g. the Disqus function which handles questions and comments for the Ask Me Anything section). If you choose to register with those third-party service providers your interaction is governed by their respective terms and conditions.
INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE TO US AND HOW WE USE IT
To access certain areas and services of our platform, you will need to register with us. During the registration process we will ask you to submit personal information about yourself. This includes your name and address, date of birth, e-mail address, gender, telephone number, your preferences and, if you make a purchase with us, payment details. If you choose to interact with WatchAdvisor via a social media platform (e.g. LinkedIn or Facebook) or another third party service, we will collect the information you have provided to us through that platform.
By providing your personal data during the registration process, you enable WatchAdvisor to provide you with the services you select during your journey through the platforms, in particular our recommendation services.
After registration, we will also collect personal information from you and your browser when you interact with the platform, define or modify your WatchAdvisor profile settings, when you correspond with us (for example, if you contact us with a query about one of our products or services), when you meet a WatchAdvisor representative or when you contact our staff by telephone. Please note that calls to WatchAdvisor may be recorded for security, training and development purposes.
We also collect certain information automatically about visitors to our platform, described in the section headed “Cookies and other information that we automatically collect”, below.
We will use the information we collect from you to:
- handle your enquiries and requests
- provide personalized services, e.g. give recommendations about watches, retailers, and brands
- send service related communications, including announcements and administrative messages such as order confirmation
- send marketing communications (including e-mails) relating to us and other third-party partners in accordance with your communications preferences (please see the “Editing or deleting your personal information” section below for further information about how you can control these updates)
- manage and fulfil purchase and service orders and to provide after service care
- conduct market research so that we can continuously improve the services & products we provide through our platforms
- create) market and technology studies and provide these data to business partners in a form that does not allow the identification of individual users
- prevent fraud and other prohibited or illegal activities and as part of our efforts to keep our platforms secure and
- understand how our platforms are used so that we can continuously improve our platforms and services and other offerings
HOW LONG WILL YOUR PERSONAL DATA BE STORED?
Your personal data will be stored for as long as your user profile and account exist on one of our platforms.
If you want to delete your personal data on our platform, please ask us to delete your user profile and account, please see "Contact us" below.
WHAT IS A COOKIE?
Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information which are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website or mobile application. They are used to recognise your computer as you move between pages on a website, or when you return to a website or mobile application you have visited previously. Cookies are widely used in order to make platforms work, or to work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the platform.
There are two broad categories of cookies:
- First party cookies are served directly by WatchAdvisor to your computer or mobile device. They are used only by WatchAdvisor to recognise your computer or mobile device and to remember your preferences when you revisit our platform.
- Third party cookies are served by a third-party service provider which we use for some functionality on our platform. Third party cookies be be used by the service provider to recognise your computer or mobile device when you visit other websites. Third party cookies are most commonly used for platform analytics or advertising purposes.
Cookies can remain on your computer or mobile device for different periods of time. WatchAdvisor uses both 'session cookies’ and ‘permanent cookies’. Session cookies exist only while your browser is open and are deleted automatically once you close your browser. Permanent cookies survive after your browser is closed and can be used to recognise your computer or mobile device when you re-open your browser and browse the internet again. Some cookies expire automatically after a couple of days, months, or years. Some cookies have no expiry date und persist until you choose to delete them from your browser or system.
WHAT COOKIES DOES WATCHADVISOR USE?
The platform serves the following types of cookies to your computer or mobile device:
- Cookies necessary for platform functions: These cookies are essential to provide you with services available through the platforms and to use some of its features. The cookies tell us if cookies are supported by your browser, if you are logged in, if you have signed up to our newsletters, if and how you have interacted with our discussion board.
- Analytics Cookies: These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our platforms, which system and browser they use, which language the browser is set to, which page the user came from, how long the user stays on a page, the page the user leaves to, how to user choose to interact with a poll, if the user decided to take part in a user survey, and how the visitor is using the page.. We use this information to help run our platforms more efficiently, to gather broad demographic information and to monitor the level of activity on our platforms.
- Advertising Cookies: When you visit our platforms or click on advertisements or promotional content on other websites, these cookies are used to deliver adverts more relevant to you and your interests. They are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement as well as help to evaluate the effectiveness of advertising and promotion. They remember that you have visited a website and this information is shared with other organisations such as advertisers.
- Content sharing and social networking cookies: These cookies enable users to share pages and content through third-party social networking and other platforms. The companies that offer this service and serve these cookies may also use your information to serve targeted advertising on other websites.
It should be noted that – to our knowledge – none of these cookies stores data and allows sharing of data with other websites in plain form. All personal data is pseudonymised, i.e. it can only be attributed to a specific person with the help of additional information.
HOW TO CONTROL OR DELETE COOKIES
You can set your cookie preferences by changing your browser settings so that cookies from the platforms cannot be placed on your computer or mobile device. In order to do this, follow the instructions provided by your browser (usually located within the “Help”, “Tools” or “Edit” facility).
Further information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your computer or mobile device and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org and www.youronlinechoices.eu.
IP ADDRESSES AND OTHER SYSTEM INFORMATION
We may collect information about your computer or mobile device, including - where available - your IP address, operating system, log in times and browser type. We use this information to better understand how visitors use our platforms and for internal reporting purposes. We may anonymise and share this information with advertisers, sponsors or other businesses.
Information we collect may be transferred to, stored and processed in any country or territory where one or more of our affiliated companies or third-party service providers are located or maintain facilities.
PROTECTING YOUR INFORMATION
We want you to feel confident about using our platforms, and we are committed to protecting the personal information we collect. We limit access to personal information about you to employees who reasonably need access to it, to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs. We have appropriate technical and organisational physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect the personal information that you provide to us against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, damage or destruction.
HOW TO EDIT, DELETE OR ACCESS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can review, edit, and update most of your personal data in the account settings.
You have the right to access any of your personal information that we have stored in our records.
You have the right to delete any personal information that we have stored in our records by asking us to delete your user profile and account, please see “Contact us” below .
If you do no not wish to receive communication related to our services you have the right to ask us to delete your user profile and account to stop any future communication, please see “Contact us” below .
You have the right to unsubscribe from e-mail marketing communications at any time. To unsubscribeor click on the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any WatchAdvisor marketing e-mails.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights and need our assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us as described in the section “Contact us” below.
If you want to withdraw your consent that allows WatchAdvisor to process your personal data, please ask us to delete your user profile and account, please see "Contact us" below.
CH-6340 Baar, Switzerland
+41 41 280 80 80
last updated August 2018