In 1888, in the Solothurn town of Bettlach, Edward Kummer laid the basis of a company, which was one day to become Atlantic Watch. Some years later the company was already employing over 700 people and has left a strong mark on the history of watchmaking in the 20th century. Since 2008, Atlantic has been based in the Bernese town of Lengnau/Longeau. The Atlantic Brands came into being in 1888 under the name of Ed. Kummer AG, Bettlach, abbreviated to EKB. At that time aged 43, the master watchmaker had identified the huge potential for growth offered by the manufacture of watch movements and components. Six years later, he and his partners had already set up the company called Obrecht & Co. established in Grenchen, which specialized in the production of movement-blanks. However, the authorities of Bettlach, his commune of origin, persuaded him to transfer his activities to his place of birth, in order to contribute to its development. These projects were favourably received by the inhabitants of Bettlach, so that production was able to start in 1888 in the new and imposing production site, which had just sprung up from nothing.