Thanks to the Porsche race car called “919 Hybrid”, the Stuttgart-based car manufacturer won back-to-back titles in 2015 and 2016. The Porsche 919 race car is powered by a 2-litre, 400hp V4 turbo engine, coupled with a 500hp electric engine. The turbochargers of the 919 are maintained at optimal rpm by an electric engine, thus enabling maximum acceleration thrust. The Porsche 919 is an ultimate demonstration of technical leadership and endurance capabilities.
Two hours ago the 24 Hours of Le Mans started and the race will only end tomorrow after 24 hours at 15:00 CEST.
At 17:30 CEST Chopard launched this fascinating wristwatch:
The Chopard Superfast Power Control Porsche 919 HF Edition is made of bead blasted titanium that is ultra-light, comfortable to wear and resistant. The latter quality is reinforced by a black DLC treatment based on carbon and rendering this timepiece virtually scratchproof. The Superfastwatch is powered by the Chopard calibre “01.11-M”. It was entirely developed, produced and assembled within the Chopard workshops of Fleurier Ebauches and represents a watershed between two generations of materials. It is made of brass and steel, with a silicon oxide escapement at its heart. The balance wheel of the Chopard calibre “01.11-M” oscillates at a frequency of 8 Hz or 57,600 A/h (the balance wheels of the majority of “normal” watches oscillate at 4 Hz or 28.800 A/h). Chopard so far is the only watchmaker to use and master this ultra high frequency. A regulating organ oscillating at 57,600 A/h boasts an exceptional rate-resumption capacity. In case of jarring or vibrations, which are of course extremely frequent during a World Endurance Championship race, the chronometric precision of Chopard calibre “01.11-M” is protected by this brisk cadence.
The Chopard Superfast Power Control Porsche 919 HF Edition still offers impressing 60 hours of power reserve, whereas its energy-consuming high frequency would normally have implied reduced autonomy. Sophisticated fine-tuning and the experience to deal with such high oscillating frequencies has enabled Chopard to maintain this generous power reserve.
The calibre “01.11-M” is chronometer-certified by the COSC.
In my opinion the Chopard Superfast Power Control Porsche 919 HF Edition is an impressive watch featuring an ‘engine’, materials, technologies, treatments and settings that are all worthy of a finely tuned racing car.
Therefore I think it is not exaggerated to write: Chopard and Porsche Motorsport definitively share a love of automobile engineering and of quality tested in the most demanding environments.
The new Chopard Superfast Power Control Porsche 919 HF Edition is limited to 100 pieces and only available at Chopard boutiques around the globe. The watch will be sold for 14.800 Euro including 20 % VAT.
• Black DLC-coated bead blasted titanium
• Total diameter 45 mm
• Thickness 12.4 mm
• Water resistance 100 metres
• Matt black rubber-moulded screw-locked crown with steering wheel in DLC-coated stainless steel 8 mm
• Glare proofed sapphire crystal
• Open case back bearing the “Official Timing Partner Porsche Motorsport LMP1 Team” inscription and Porsche Motorsport logo
• Inner bezel ring engraved with white lacquered engraving
• Engraved and lacquered black DLC-coated titanium bezel, 8 PVD-coated black steel screws
• Self-winding movement Chopard 01.11-M
• Total diameter 28.8 mm
• Number of jewels 37
• Power reserve approx. 60 hours
• Frequency 57,600 A/h (= 8Hz)
• Chronometer-certified by COSC
• Escapement (impulse-pin, pallet-lever and escape-wheel) in silicon
Dial and hands:
• Matt black dial with red, white and grey transfers
• Red and white “919” logo at 6 o’clock
• Transferred seconds and quarter-seconds graduations
• Rhodiumed, hollowed-out, Super-Luminova-enhanced hours and minutes hands
• Red-tipped rhodium-plated central sweep-seconds hand
• Rhodium-plated baton-shaped power-reserve indicator hand
• Rhodium-plated Super-Luminova-enhanced hour-markers
Functions and displays:
• Display of the hours, minutes and centre seconds
• Quarter-second indication
• Date window at 3 o’clock
• Power-reserve indicator at 9 o’clock
Strap and buckle:
• Black rubber strap with slick tyre pattern
• Folding clasp in black DLC-coated bead blasted titanium
Ref. 168593-3001 – 100-piece limited edition